This is mainly for my own benefit (I’m not making a Pinterest board just for this because I already have so many, and I hardly ever blog enough) but I’m sure lots of other people out there hoard their scrap fabric and have decided to finally do something with it, yet don’t really care for emery board cozies, fabric covered band-aids, or fabric leaves to lay around. Amirite? Thank you.
So here is an actual list of actually useful/appreciated/fun/cute projects to do with your scrap fabric. (Also all pic credit goes to wherever the link takes you, I hate when people make project lists and don’t share a photo preview!)
1. Coffee cup cozies. I’m not a big coffee drinker, I prefer my under-200 mg of caffeine a day to be from two Coca Colas, but these are really cute, really easy, and really sell-able. And they don’t require much fabric. Plus if you don’t have any fancy elastic lying around (I hate elastic) you could resort to a hair bow, OR you could just go with velcro. Velcro is always better.
Example 1, example 2
2. Super quick & easy owl coin purseThis is made from a pattern that costs $5 from Michelle’s Patterns but tonight I made my own little owl coin purse with a pattern I made from scratch! My second project in over a year, and I made my OWN pattern from scratch, and it ACTUALLY turned out!!! I’m not really advertising it much as I don’t want to take away business from Michelle. I’ll just cuddle my cute little owl all on my own. :’)
3. Tiny flat mini wallets, perfect for making a quick trip to town without your purse and just your ID and the money/card you need! I love things like this. So cute and so simple and definitely very handy. Also if you mess it up, it doesn’t really matter since you didn’t use much fabric in the first place. 🙂 Pic credit: This is not going to take you to a tutorial, but I’m sure if you search on Pinterest/Google you will find a ton. I’m a super beginner at sewing and I think I could make one of these without a pattern. 🙂
4. A camera strap. A lot of us crafters/DIYers take photos of our projects, and if you have a DSLR, this could turn out really lovely.
5. A bb bib! If you’re a soon to be mommy like me, or just a crafty mom in general, you are dying to make everything related to babies, and these are really nice and modern and you can make them in patterns you actually like that aren’t super babyish or pastel! Yay! It’s a win all around.
That’s all I got right now. If you wanna share some with me, please comment and let me know! Keep in mind, I did not include the obvious (and boring) things like headbands, flowers, or appliques. So unless you find one of those that are just to die for – tutorial or purely inspiration – don’t feel obligated to share. 😉
Oh, I do have one more.
6. A quilt
Because I firmly believe everyone who sews needs to experience making a quilt at some point. I currently am putting this off because I can be super anal about detail/placement on things, but when I decide to take the plunge and challenge myself, I will surely post it. 🙂